Return to Activities Webinars

As our state continues to take steps to reopen safely, Special Olympics Pennsylvania has developed a Return to Activities plan. The most important priority reflected throughout is the health and safety of all of our participants: athletes, Unified partners, coaches, volunteers, family members, caregivers and staff.
Our plan aligns with guidance from the State of Pennsylvania, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and Special Olympics International (SOI). We thank all of you who helped develop this plan. The full plan is being finalized for distribution the third week of July. You are highly encouraged to join an upcoming training webinar to learn about the plan. See the schedule below:

鈼硷笍 Managers, Assistant Managers, Sport and Competition Coordinators, Training Coordinators and COVID-19 Coordinators* Webinar
馃敼 Tuesday, July 21st, 7-9 pm; REGISTER IN ADVANCE FOR THIS MEETING HERE: https://bit.ly/2OrMzsv

鈼硷笍 Coaches and COVID-19 Coordinators* Webinar
馃敼 Thursday, July 23rd, 7-9 pm; REGISTER IN ADVANCE FOR THIS MEETING HERE: https://bit.ly/3eEw0UV

鈼硷笍 Athlete and Family Webinar
馃敼 Friday, July 24th, 7-9pm; REGISTER IN ADVANCE FOR THIS MEETING HERE: https://bit.ly/396kDDR

*Each training site must have a designated COVID-19 Coordinator. A COVID-19 Coordinator (either the coach or another volunteer) will conduct a basic screening protocol prior to each practice and have several additional responsibilities.

In the meantime, if you have questions or concerns, please contact Chelsea Hammell (chammell@specialolympicspa.org).

The Voices of SOPA

During Special Olympics Pennsylvania‘s inaugural Indoor Winter Games in 2019, we took some time to sit down and talk to athletes throughout the event. Even though the 2020 Indoor Winter Games in York were cancelled, we wanted to share these interviews with you now. Below, you’ll find a collection of audio stories, which you can listen to by clicking, as well as portraits of these awesome athletes and their biographical information.

The Faces & Voices of Indoor Winter Games

Name: Kristine Progin
County: Lebanon
Sport: Floor Hockey Coach

“My dad had coached for years… I think that’s why I wanted to coach, because he and my mom had both coached before.”

Kristine Progin, Lebanon County

Name: Donte Vargas
County: Bedford
Sport: Floor Hockey

“We practice spin moves, getting the puck toward the net and we practice passing as well.”

Donte Vargas, Bedford County

Name: Hillary McFadden
County: Area M
Sport: Speed Skating

“When I was 17, I asked if I could do speed skating and they said, ‘no, you can’t do that [because you’re blind]’ and I said, ‘well sure I can. I can do anything I set my mind to.’ So we fought for it.”

Hillary McFadden, Area M

Name: Corey Zentner
County: York
Sport: Figure Skating

“I like my teammates. I try to help them to focus and not mess up. Try to help them do their best.”

Corey Zentner, York County

Name: Chloe Phillips
County: Lancaster
Sport: Swimming

“My goal is to embrace myself to do more, bigger events for public speaking.”

Chloe Phillips, Lancaster County

Name: Russell Green

“[Coach Lin] takes the time in her efforts and she does whatever she needs to do with us… We like being here on Monday nights skating.”

Russell Green, York County

Name: Brandon Daehn & Elizabeth Brown
County: Area M
Sport: Speed Skating

“I do speed skating, tennis and long-distance walking and running. Summer is the only time I have free time.”

Elizabeth Brown, Area M

Name: Leah Cunningham

“I do hockey and figure skating. I like it, it’s fun and it’s great.”

Leah Cunningham, York County

Name: Gabriel Stern
County: Lebanon
Sport: Floor Hockey

“It really means something to me that I can finally be supported in a place that I can actually call family for once.”

Gabriel Stern, Lebanon County

Join us for the LIVE Virtual Beaver Stadium Run!

饾棝饾棽饾椆饾椆饾椉 饾棶饾椈饾棻 饾槃饾棽饾椆饾棸饾椉饾椇饾棽 饾榿饾椉 饾榿饾椀饾棽 饾煭饾煭饾榿饾椀 饾棓饾椈饾椈饾槀饾棶饾椆 饾棧饾棶饾榿饾棽饾椏饾椈饾椉 饾棛饾棶饾椇饾椂饾椆饾槅 饾棔饾棽饾棶饾槂饾棽饾椏 饾棪饾榿饾棶饾棻饾椂饾槀饾椇 饾棩饾槀饾椈, 饾椊饾椏饾棽饾榾饾棽饾椈饾榿饾棽饾棻 饾棷饾槅 Sheetz! 馃馃挋馃

While we’re so sad we can’t all be together in Happy Valley on this BEAUTIFUL Sunday, we’re excited that we have the ability to gather virtually and celebrate the things that make this event so meaningful to so many people. We’re overjoyed by the number of virtual participants we’ve seen register so far. Words can’t express how much your support means to the nearly 20,000 Special Olympics athletes throughout the state.

We now invite you to grab some brunch, find a comfortable spot on the couch and join us as we present this year’s VIRTUAL Beaver Stadium Run! And remember… WE ARE — Stronger Together!!

#VirtualBSR | #InclusionRevolution

Special Olympics Pennsylvania: March Madness 2020 Champions

Ladies & gentlemen, we are proud to introduce your 2020 SOPA MARCH MADNESS CHAMPION…

饾悞饾悘饾悗饾悜饾悡饾悞 饾悅饾悁饾悓饾悘!!!! 馃弳馃檶馃弲

Cinderella is dancing!! The No. 7 seed has done it and shocked the field!! Not only did Sports Camp take down top-seeded Summer Games in the Final Four but then defeated No. 1 Fall Festival in yesterday’s championship. An incredible total of 1,084 people voted and the final tally was 762-322 in favor of our champs!

We can’t thank everyone enough for their support of ALL our amazing Special Olympics programs throughout the state. The was an incredible tournament and we hope you had as much fun voting as we did watching the results flow in!
Be sure to stay tuned for more awesome stuff coming your way as we all continue to stay active and stay together as one big Special Olympics Pennsylvania family!